Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Trainer's inexperience spelled Cotto's doom?

HOLLYWOOD – Now it can be told.

When all else appeared to be a losing cause, Miguel Cotto Sr. asked that his son’s one-sided fight with Filipino Manny Pacquiao be finally stopped, but was talked out of it by those manning Cotto Jr’s corner, including trainer Joe Santiago.

The elder Cotto wanted a halt to the world welterweight championship fight shortly after the 11th round, by which time only a knockout could turn the tide and save the day for his battered son, who went and lose his welterweight title against Pacquiao following a 12-round stoppage.

Cotto’s wife, Melissa, actually left the MGM Grand Garden Arena, tagging along their youngest son, as early as the ninth round, the uneasiness of seeing her husband taking a severe beating from the world’s top pound-for-pound king easily overcoming her.

"But can the inexperience corner of Cotto has the authority to throw in the towel right now?" asked HBO boxing analyst Emmanuel Steward, giving rise to speculations on how Cotto runs the show in his camp.

As Cotto returned to his corner after the ninth round, Santiago asked him bluntly, “Is that enough?" Then he added, We’ll give you one more round. One more."

The valiant champion from Caguas, Puerto Rico did well in the 10th, enough to earn the nod of two (Duane Ford and Dave Moretti) of the three scoring judges.

"Good round," Santiago said in the corner. “Can you do one round? We’ll do one more."

But by then, everything else had been lost for Cotto.

"Dapat stop na `yung fight earlier pa," said Pacquiao, a notion shared by two of his trainers, Freddie Roach and assistant, Buboy Fernandez. – GMANews.TV

No comments:

Post a Comment