Thursday, November 19, 2009

Pacman not ready to hang up gloves

The Philippine Star

MANILA, Philippines - Filipino boxing superstar Manny Pacquiao, who is set to arrive today, said retirement was far from his mind despite her mother Dionisia’s plea for him to quit following his historic victory over former WBO welterweight king Miguel Cotto of Puerto Rico at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

“I don’t want to see him fight anymore. I don’t want to see him get hurt anymore,” her mother said.

“I want him to retire because he’s got nothing more to prove,” added Mommy Dionisia, now getting as popular as her iconic 30-year-old son, in Filipino as she stepped out of the colorful Team Pacquiao bus in Los Angeles after a long trip from Las Vegas.

Last Monday, during his visit to the Wild Card Gym, wearing dark glasses and signs of his 12-round battle with Cotto, Pacquiao confirmed that yes, his energetic and showbiz-minded mother had long asked him to call it a day and quit while he’s way ahead.

“Sabi nga ng mama ko tama na (My mother told me that’s enough),” said Pacquiao.

“Umiiyak na nga eh (She’s been crying),” he added.

But the fighter, regarded as the greatest of his era following his demolition of Cotto, reiterated he’s not ready to retire.

For the fight against Cotto, he took a guaranteed purse of $13 million and stands to earn a total of $20 million or a little more once everything comes in, including pay-per-view sales and TV rights back home, merchandise and gate receipts.

Pacquiao has earned no less than $10 million for his last couple of fights, including one against the legendary Oscar dela Hoya and British superstar Ricky Hatton. Both fighers did not last the distance against the hard-hitting Pacquiao.

The Filipino icon is looking at a few more fights, and it seems that his mother would have to wait and suffer some more. She did not come to the MGM Grand when Pacquiao faced Cotto, opting to stay inside his Mandalay Hotel room to pray.

“I don’t want to see him like this,” she said, touching her own face as if she was the one hurting, and not Pacquiao who had two black eyes, some bruises on his cheekbone, a swollen right hand, a busted eardrum and an aching body.

But Pacquiao just shook them off, and said he’s ready to do some more.

“Kaya ko pa lumaban (I can still fight),” he said.

“Hindi naman ako nabugbog sa mga laban ko noon eh (It didn’t get beat up in my previous fights). Ngayon lang ulit (Except for this fight),” Pacquiao said.

The last time he got hurt, as far as he could remember, was when he fought Erik Morales the first time in 2005, and then Juan Manuel Marquez last year. In both fights, he walked away with stitches on his face.

After getting past Cotto and rewriting boxing history, Pacquiao is looking forward to bigger battles ahead, and not one could be bigger than a projected clash with undefeated American and ex-pound-for-pound champion Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Or even Shane Mosley, Andre Berto, Edwin Valero. But it’s the fight against Mayweather that the world wants to see, and Pacquiao has no problems with it, as long as the promoters strike a deal that can make both ends meet and fight fans happy.

He wants another fight next year. but is in no hurry.

“I can wait a little while. I want to enjoy some vacation before I fight again,” said Pacquiao. – Abac Cordero

No comments:

Post a Comment